Who can apply
You may be able to apply for a scooter loan from Go Smarter if you live in eligible areas of County Durham* and you are struggling to get to work or training because:
- of limited public transport
- you don’t have access to a car and there’s no opportunity to car share
- you are working unsociable hours, or because
- you have a complex journey that would require a lot of changes on public transport
You must be aged 16 years or older.
You’ll need to show us your valid UK driving licence or a provisional licence when you apply.
*The eligible areas of County Durham are Chester-le-Street, Stanley, Mid Durham, Spennymoor, Bishop Auckland & Shildon, East Durham Rural Corridor and 3-Towns Partnership (Crook, Willington, and Tow Law) Area Action Partnership areas.
What you will get
- Personal travel plan
- Compulsory basic training (CBT)
- CBT Plus - additional safety training on the scooter you will hire
- A 50cc or 125cc scooter (depending on your age and preference)
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) - this includes:
- Armoured jacket
- High-visibility vest
- Moped insurance (but not personal injury cover)
- Breakdown and recovery
You must tell us about any damage caused to the scooter.
What you will pay
- £25 per week for 50cc
- £30 per week for 125cc
There are no other charges, unless you cause damage to the scooter, either intentionally or otherwise.
Other key facts
|Minimum duration of hire||6 months (or 12 week minimum commitment depending on circumstances)|
|Maximum duration of hire||26 weeks (a short extension may be available depending on the bike availability)|
|Option to purchase after hire period||Yes (conditions appy)|
How to apply
When you apply, we need to:
- Check your eligibility for the scheme
- Check your employment status with your new employer, training or employment agency
- Check your driver's licence
- Arrange the basic training sessions
This can take up to two weeks but is often much quicker. Applicants are also required to pay a 4 week up-front hire fee before starting their scooter loan - help may be available with this from Durham Works or the Job Centre Plus, depending on circumstances.