In 2014/15, Go Smarter commissioned Sustrans to deliver five Go Smarter Centres, one in each of the five districts in Tyne and Wear.
The Go Smarter Centres encourage people to cycle and walk for more of their everyday journeys, whilst connecting with other people in their neighbourhood.
Each centre has been given its own distinctive name and is based at the heart of the local community, providing an invaluable active travel hub.
They offer a range of activities and events, to help improve the health and fitness of local residents.
The five Go Smarter Centres are:
The Bike Garden
- The Pavilion Building, Nuns Moor Park, Newcastle NE4 5PA
The Bike Farm
– Bill Quay Farm, Gateshead NE10 0UE
The Bike Shed
– Richardson Dees Park, Wallsend NE28 8RH
The Bike Park
– Temple Park, South Tyneside NE34 8QN
The Bike Dock
– National Glass Centre, Sunderland SR6 0GL
Each Go Smarter Centre runs a programme of fun, active travel activities for everyone in the community including:
- Dr Bike bicycle maintenance sessions
- Guided bike rides and walks
- Cycle skills training for all ages
- A bike buddy service
- Learn to ride and stabiliser-free cycling sessions
- Nature walks
Visit the Sustrans North East Eventbrite page to find out what’s on at the Active Travel Centres.